Dalia khichadi is nutritious, tasty and quick to make dish for toddlers. It has minor amounts of spices and flavours which will get your child used to adult food.
Dalia is whole wheat that has been cleaned, parboiled, dried, ground into particles and hence is cooked quickly. It is excellent for digestion and can be given to the babies above one year.
Compared to unenriched white rice,dalia has more fiber and protein and higher levels of most vitamins and minerals.1 cup of dry dalia contains approximately:
- Energy: 2003 kJ (479 kcal)
- Dietary fiber: 25.6 g
- Protein: 17.21 g
- Carbohydrate: 69 g whereof 0.8 g sugars
- Fat: 1.86 g whereof 0.2 g saturated fat
- Potassium: 574 mg
- Iron: 3.44 mg
- 1 tbsp oil
- A pinch of asafetida
- 1 tsp jeera
- 1 tsp rai
- ¾ cup vegetables
- 1 tbsp dhania pwd
- 1tsp chilli pwd
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1/3 cup dalia( bulgur wheat)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- Roast dalia in a pan with some ghee till colour turns brown and it smells aromatic. Remove from the pan and transfer it to bowl
- In the cooker heal oil, add asafetida, rai & jeera.
- Once rai & jeera splutters, add vegetables( carrots & potatoes) ,dhania pwd, chilli pwd & salt and roast for a min
- Add roasted dalia and water.
- Cover the cooker and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles ( about 5-7 mins)
- Switch off the gas and let the khichadi cook in the steam. Once the pressure is released, serve the khichadi with tup (ghee)
The khichadi is little watery as its easier for kids to swallow. Whenever I tell Neil to chew when he eats, he first swallows the food and then chew his empty mouth. I really don’t know what to do, as I look defeated and he smiles chewing his empty mouth. Please feel free to give me tips to making your child chew food.
Also Neil gets tired of eating chewable food after some time, so the next bowl of khichadi has to be coarsely mashed with stick blender.
You can choose the consistency as per your child’s liking. Also I have used carrots & potatoes this time,but you can use onions, peas, cauliflower or other veggies what you want to use.