I use all kinds of grains while cooking for Neil, Jowar being of them. I have been feeding him this porridge since he was 7 months old.
Jowar is rich in carbohydrate, proteins, iron & vitamin B complex. Dates are again good source of tannins, iron, potassium & many essential nutrients. I added dates as sweetening agent instead of adding refined sugar. This porridge is very simple to make & nutritious feed for your baby right from 7 months.
· 3 tbsp jowar flour (sorghum flour)
· 1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
· 1 cup milk
· 1 cup water
· 3 tbsp date paste
· In small frying pan, roast jowar flour with ghee till it turns light brown
· Lower the heat & add the milk & water, stirring continuously with a whisk so that no lumps are formed. It very essential to whisk continuously while adding milk & water to get smooth consistency of porridge.
· Add in date paste.
For the date paste. Mix 1 cup of dates( without stones) with 2 cups of water & boil them till water in reduced to 1 cup. Puree the mix in blender. This stays for 2-3 weeks in fridge
· Serve lukewarm. You can adjust the consistency as per age & liking of your child