Baba Ganoush is similar dish to Hummus, only it uses broiled eggplant instead of chickpeas. It is the Mediterranean version of Indian Baingan Bharta. The eggplant is broiled over an open flame before peeling, so that the pulp is soft and has a smoky taste.
It can be served as a dip with pita bread or served as a side dish..
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tbsp tahini paste
- 2 large minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 green chilly
- Salt to taste
- Place the eggplant directly over the open flame.
- Broil the eggplant turning it over all the sides until the skin is black and blistered and flesh feels soft. You could also pierce the eggplant and grill them in oven at 180 C for about 20 mins, but the open fire method gives it’s a nice smoky flavour.
- Peel the skin and finely chop the eggplant
- Add tahini, garlic, yogurt, salt and finely chopped green chillies to mashed eggplant pulp.
- Garnish it with olives and Olive oil..