The recipe here is a curry made with raw mangoes simmered in coconut gravy. Its a Konkani dish and it vegetarian version of fish curry which is made in Konkani houses. My hubby loves this version, so its commonly prepared in summer.
This recipe is handed over to me by my mother, who in turn learnt it from her mother in law. My granny was an amazing cook when it came to fishes n seafood.. She was born n brought in Goa before getting married and later shifting to Mumbai. So she had some really amazing seafood recipes..
You must try this simple recipe before mangoes are out of season.. it tastes great with rice and fried papad. Don't forget to eat some of the marinated mangoes while preparing this curry.
- 1 large raw green mango
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 2 tsp jaggery
- 12 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp rice
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 8-10 black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp jeera
- Peel the mango and cut into slices. discard the seed. apply
salt, turmeric, chilli & jaggery.
- Dry roast rice, mustard, fenugreek seeds and black peppercorns
- Grind roasted rice, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds,
peppercorns and coconut to make paste
- In a frying pan, heat oil and cumin seeds
- Once the seeds start spluttering, add the marinated mangoes
along with the spices and coconut paste
- Cook on slow flame for 30 min till mango cooks and starts to
Serve with hot steamed rice...