Rosebud Madeleines

  Madeleines,,,,,,
          I was first introduced to these treats in starbucks cafe where sugar bowl madeleines are sold. I wasn't too keen to taste these cakes, but one bit of these and I became a ife long fan of these french cookie cakes... they just melt in your mouth ..
How can I describe them ..... they are light and melt in your mouth bursting with flavours of butter and sugar... Trust me,,, you just gotta taste once and you will fall in love with these beautiful shell shaped french tea cakes...

               I was desperately waiting for madeleine pan.. I searched almost every shop in Mumbai n Bangalore for these pan, but could not find them. I was behind my sister's life when she was coming back from USA for good to find metal madeleine pan for me.. but all she found were too big to fit in my oven.. Finally my brother in law managed to get one silicon mold for us which we cut into two and are both thrilled to posses.. I dedicate this post to my dear elder sister Manshree, who is an amazing cook and has always been source of inspiration to my cooking... I have learnt so many cooking lessons from her... and bugged her so many doubts.. Thanks a lot for being der
   As much as I craved for madeleines, I always wanted to own a book by Nigella Lawson... I just love her attitude and way she makes food seem so desirable and sexy... Her style is so simple and casual and yet she manages to create miracles.... I love to watch her food shows and I finally laid hands on my own copy of How to be a domestic Goddess... Its an amazing addition to my collection. Wanted to try some Nigellisamian recipe.. I picked up Rosebud Madeleines. The madeleines were good in taste,,, But they werent the Melt in Mouth like those madeleines from Sugar bowl...

Rosebud Madeleines
Source: Nigella Lawson- How To Be A Domestic Goddess Art Of Comfort Cooking



Ingredients:
  •  ¼ cup unsalted butter (50g), plus 1 tablespoon for greasing
  •  1 large egg
  •  2 tablespoons sugar (40g)
  •  pinch of salt
  •  ⅓ cup all-purpose flour (45g)
  •  1 tablespoon rosewater ( I added 4-5 drops of rose water essence)
  •  confectioners' sugar for dusting
  •  24 mini-madeleine tin ( I used regular madeleines silicon mould and made 10 madeleines)
Method:
  • Melt all the butter over a low heat, then leave to cool. Beat the egg, sugar and salt in a bowl for about 5 minutes, preferably with an electric mixer of some sort, until it’s as thick as mayonnaise.
  • Then sprinkle in the flour; I hold a sieve above the egg and sugar mixture, put the flour in and shake it through. 
  • Fold in the flour with a wooden spoon/ silicon spatula and then set aside a scant tablespoon of the cold, melted butter for greasing the tins and fold in the rest along with the rosewater. Mix well, but not too vigorously.
  • Leave to rest in the fridge for 1 hour, then take out and leave at room temperature for half an hour. I left the batter in the fridge for about 2 hours and directly placed the batter onto the moulds. this helps in getting the characteristic madeleine hump  

  • Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220ºC). 
  • Generously brush the insides of the Madeleine tins if you are using metal ones, with the tablespoon of butter (melting more if you feel you need it) before filling them with half the cake mixture. About 1 teaspoonful in each should do for the mini madeleines. I filled the madeleine batter almost 3/4th the madeleine mould.don’t worry about covering the molded indentations; in the heat of the oven the mixture will spread before it rises.
  • I used silicon madeleines pan and to get the best out of the silicon pan, place the silicone mold directly on the oven grid and not on a metal tray for perfect heat convection, to allow for optimum heat circulation and even baking. The temperature for the silicone mold should be the same as a traditional metal pan. When using a traditional oven place the grid in the lower part of the oven for best results.
  • Bake for 5 minutes, though check after 3. (If you're making regular-sized madeleines, bake for 10 minutes) 
  • Turn out and let cool on a rack, then arrange on a plate and dust with icing sugar. Repeat with the remaining half of the mixture...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cashew Coffee Cake

Masala paneer wheels

Mango Masti