Bok choy,a popular ingredient in chinese cooking, is the perfect vegetable for a quick, healthy side dish for an Asian style entree Here tofu, mushrooms and bell peppers add flavor and make it more substantial.
This basic stir-fry can be served as is, quick and easy, this is one of my favorite ways to load up on leafy greens. Serve with fluffy white rice, or over noodles in soup.
Boy Choy is not easily available in India. But I was able to order fresh bok choy from Green Tokri, a farm located in Pune who delivers garden fresh vegetables and herbs right at your doorstep. They also offer variety of seasonal fruits and sauces and condiments.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 mature bokchoys
- 1 red capsicum (sliced)
- 1 yellow capsicum (sliced)
- 200 gm mushroom (sliced)
- 200 gms cubed tofu/ paneer
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- If you are using baby bok choy, just split into half and wash it under water copiously. In order to prep mature bok choy, separate the leaves from the stems by slicing the bok choy head crosswise at about the point where the leaves begin to spread out. Now separate all the leaves and wash them with water. Allow the leaves to drain in colander.
- Cut the leaves to separate the white stem and green leaves. Cut the white stem in 1 to 1 1/2 inch slices. Slice the green leaves into large chunks and keep the entire inner leaves with greens. Keep the stems and leaves
- Now, its time to make sauce. In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, chilli sauce( depending on heat you want) brown sugar, vinegar, water. let it stand aside allowing the flavors to mingle while you stir-fry your veggies.
- Place your wok/ wide frying pan on stove and turn on heat medium high. Heat the oil and add garlic and sliced red onion and saute for 2 mins till onions start becoming soft.
- Add in stems of bok choy, sliced red and yellow capsicums and sliced mushrooms. I have added mushrooms as they release juices while cooking eliminating the need of adding more oil. If you are not adding mushrooms, sprinkle water every time you saute and cook covered.
- Cook covered stiring after every 2 min, till the veggies are cooked but still retain crunch. when teh veggies are almost cooked add bok choy greens and panner/ tofu cubes. let them cook covered for 2 mins more.
- Add the sauces and season with salt and pepper according to taste. Cook for 1-2 min till sauce forms coating over veggies.
- Serve warm with long grained rice seasoned with pandan leaf / lemongrass while steaming rice.