"Shravanmasi harsha manasi…hiraval daate chohikade!
Kshanat yete sarsar shirave…kshanat firuni unh pade!! ” – Baalkavi.
The holy month of Shravan begins, which brings in the eagerly waited monsoon and marks the beginning of hindu festival season.
Many Hindus fast many days in this month and meat is not consumed during this month.
Rainy season is in full blast this month and rains bring along with them many water borne diseases. Hence, poultry and animal diseases are also common and have more chance of being infected. so its better to avoid meat.
Shravan in mythological terms is the month of love and romance. Practically it is the breeding season for most of the animals. Fishing during this time is prohibited by Hindu laws as the female fish have eggs in their stomach. It is a sin to kill animals when they are pregnant or hatching eggs. That's the second reason why Hindus avoid meat and fish during this month. Thus the reason for eating only vegetarian foods during the month of Shravan have both religious and scientific explanations.
Here's a Shravan special egg-less chocolate cake with the ingredients commonly available in your kitchen pantry. I have added fresh whipped cream, cherries and chocolate strips to decorate and enhance the cake as this was made for my hubby's birthday.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup COLD milk
- Pre-heat oven to 180C / 350F.
- Mix the sugar with the milk, oil, vanilla and vinegar. Take care to use cold milk otherwise the vinegar will curdle it
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. Sift this dry mixture into the wet ingredients in batches, folding it in after each addition. Don't overmix at this stage, just gently fold in. Few small lumps in the batter are fine.
- Lightly grease with oil or butter whatever pan you are using. Pour the batter in and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35-40 mins.
- Let the cake cool and transfer to a cooling rack or cutting board.
- This cake has slight hard texture, so its better idea to soak with sugar water syrup.