Methi Malai paneer is gravy cooked with paneer floating in a rich creamy sauce, flavored with methi. It can be made really quick and never fails to impress your guests. I often make it as my hubby loves methi. So here is the recipe which is nutritious, simple and tasty
2 tbsp oil
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 tbsp jeera
1 large onion
6 cloves garlic
½ inch ginger
2 tbsp cashew
4 green chilies
3 cups chopped methi
1 cup cubed paneer
½ cup cream
½ cup water
1 tbsp sugar
Salt (to taste)
2 tbsp kasoori methi
- Heat oil and ghee in a non-stick or regular pan and add a pinch of asafoetida followed by jeera
- Add fresh methi leaves and saute until it shrinks.
- In meantime, grind onion, ginger, garlic, green chilies and cashews in fine paste in mixer
- Once the methi leaves shrink , add the above aste and sauté for another 3-4 mins till the raw smell of onion goes.
- Add sugar and salt. I like my methi malai paneer to be mildly sweet with the after note of green chilly.
- Add cream and let it cook for 2 minutes ( I have lots of cream leftover, as I store cream layer after boiling milk. You could also substitute milk if you don’t want to use cream and increase cashew to 3-4 tbsp, this maintain the rich taste)
- Add paneer and water and sprinkle crushed kasoori methi on the top and let it simmer for another 5 mins
- Serve hot with roti or parathas.