Indian Shepard's Pie

                       My mamma loves to cook recipes which she sees in television. If she likes some recipe, she is very prompt to make it immediately for dinner. She has had her quota of failures and successes. Me and my dad used to still do tease her a lot, if her recipe didnt turn out great. Poor mamma.. She's one adorable cute lady who is always smiling. She never scolded me or was angry at me EXCEPT during studies.. She was very strict when it came to education. I was a tomboy as a kid, always wanted to play, climb trees and bruise my knees. I wasn't interested in studies  but then who is.... Mamma made sure I studied regularly and I used to read novels inside my books....Did I mention, I am completely crazy about books. I stay up late at nights till 3am just go to sleep without knowing the end of the story and if I am forced to sleep leaving my book incomplete, I lay tossing and turning throughout the night. Then I get up early in the morning and finish the book and then go off to sleep when everyone else is awake...
         Anyways. thanks to my mamma's efforts and god's blessings, I managed to score well in my high school and become a doctor. I give my dearest mamma full credit, for taking my life in her hands when it was required and molding me to become the person I am today. Love you ma.....

       This recipe was first made by my mamma, watching some marathi cookery show. It turned out great and became regular in our household.. This is Indian version if Shepard's pie... a prefect delicious dinner entree...
Ingredients
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tsbp minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup grated carrots
  • 1/4 cup chopped roasted capsicum
  • 1/2 cup green peas
  • 2 cups chopped mushrooms
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp chilli powder (to taste)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • 1 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
  • salt n pepper to taste
  • 100 gm grated cottage cheese (paneer)
  • 4 cheese slices/ grated cheese
Method:
  •  Peel potatoes, boil in salted water in pressure cooker or covered pot.
  •  While the potatoes are cooking, roast the capsicum on direct flame, turning on all the sides, so that the skin of capsicum is burnt with blisters and turns black. once the capsicum is well roasted all over, place the capsicum in a bowl and cover it with cling wrap so that the steam cant escape. After 10 min, you can easily separate the black charred skin from the capsicum and discard it. chop the softened capsicum in small pieces..
  • In a large frying pan,heat the oil. Once its hot, sauté over medium heat for 2 min. Add carrots and green peas and cooked for few more min till they are almost cooked. 
  • Add  roasted capsicum and mushrooms and saute for few more min.Add all the spices and salt.
  • Mash potatoes in bowl, season to taste.
  • Place the cooked vegetables at the bottom of  baking dish. 


  • Distribute mashed potatoes seasoned with salt n pepper on top.

  • Evenly distribute grated paneer all over the mashed potatoes.

  • Cut pieces of cheese slices or grated cheese over the paneer 













  • Cook at 180 C in the oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.
Serves four.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cashew Coffee Cake

Masala paneer wheels

Mango Masti