Steamed healthy dumplings packed with flavor and nutrition..
In Bangalore, the best place to eat veg and chicken momos is an north eastern indian couple on scooter, who sell amazing momos just outside Garuda Mall. The momos are very economically priced and are full of flavor, wrapped in thin soft shell of white dough. If you are in Bangalore, you gotta try these momos from the smiling happy couple.
My kiddo loves momos, he is ever ready to gulp down a plate of chicken momos. Here I have attempted veg momos and they turned out really well, so sharing my adventure with you. The art of pinching and making half moon shaped momos is still to be mastered by me, all the momos here were shaped by my hubby who did it so well even at his first attempt. If you find this shape difficult, feel free to shape into round modaks. The redchilli-garlic chutney is must for momos.
A) For the Dough
- 1 cup All purpose flour (maida)
- a pinch of baking powder
- 1/4 tsp of salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 1/2 cup grated cabbage
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- salt to taste
- 100 gms peeled garlic( about a cup)
- 25 gms dried whole chillies ( 4-5 long)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- salt to taste
- For stuffing: Heat Oil in a hot pan and add in the minced garlic and onions.Add the salt and pepper After 2 mins add grated carrots and cabbage. Let it cook until the moisture vanishes.Now add soy sauce and check and adjust seasonings and cook for some more time.
- For dough: Create a semi stiff dough from the plain flour by adding some salt and baking powder. After done, pour in some oil and knead for 2-3 minutes. Cover with a damp cloth for 15-30 minutes.
- For making Momos:
Take a small amount of dough, and start rolling in a greased surface. Dust flour as needed to make a thin base for momo.
Cover the momos with damp cloth till you finish making all the momos that can fit in your steamer
- For Steaming: Boil water in a steamer. While the water is boiling, grease the steamer decks. After greasing add momos to the decks.After water boils, add the decks to the steamer and cover cook for 7-10 mins.
- After they get cooked, they will get a little bit transparent. After cooking for 10 mins, let them rest for 2-3 mins in the covered steamer. Finally that shake the steamer and the momos will come out, if you have greased the decks well.
- For Chutney: Grind garlic, red chillies, vinegar and salt with little water